Saturday, January 26, 2013

Transfer


We're back from transfer! What a week. I didn't update, but on Thursday we received a call from the embryologist giving us our 3-day update of the embryos. It was spectacular news: we still had 15 that were doing great! They were all between 7 and 9 cells, which is right on track. I know from experience and research how these situations can turn on a dime and your luck can change in an instant, but I admit I started to feel really optimistic about the possibility of having a bundle of good backups, should this cycle not work out.

Despite the ice storm and reports of treacherous road conditions, we were told to be at the clinic this morning at 8:30. We allowed 45 minutes for a 15 minute drive and while our neighborhood was a sheet of ice, the rest of the roads were fine and we made it safely.

Once at the clinic, my anxiety began to build, but finally the embryologist came to give us the the day's crop report. The fantastic news is that the little guy chosen for today's transfer was a rockstar Grade A embryo (called a Blastocyst at this stage). The bad news is that 11 of the other 14 didn't make it and the remaining 3 are of questionable quality. They are still in the Morula stage and haven't turned into Blastocysts yet, which isn't a good sign. The embryologist will check them tomorrow and freeze any that have turned into Blastocysts at that point.

I'm thrilled to have a great quality embryo in my belly, but there's about a 50% chance that the embryo will implant and I'll become pregnant, so I would have loved a better backup. We're at a very familiar place at this point; very reminiscent of Evie's cycle. Let's hope it turns out the same way! We'll know in just over a week. I'd appreciate all the prayers, good thoughts, and happy implanting vibes you can muster!

I know it's common for mothers to think their blastocysts are the cutest, but I think we can all agree that ours is objectively the most adorable. Snuggle in, little buddy! 

1 comment: